Powered By Blogger

Jan 7, 2011

Shades To Come

This is a revised edition.  The original can be found here.
As I walk into the room I notice things appear much as they always do. In the center of the room sits a large table, made of mahogany I believe. It's very old as well. Once belonged to Prince Hadjabooti, if I'm not mistaken. Around said table are six chairs, only two of which are in use, despite there being four other people in the room.
Sitting at the head of the table like he owns the place is Stygan. He gets results, so I let him have the appearance of some authority.
To his left facing away from the table and everyone else for that matter sits the lovely, but totally insane Hannah. I keep her around simply for the amusement factor. That and she gets even better results than Stygan.
Standing off in a corner, as she is known to do, waits Miss Neko. She is by far the most effective of my operatives. A quick glance is all it takes for me to know that she is ready to obey any command I give her. That includes killing anyone in the room if need be.
Then of course there is Simian. He sits on the edge of the table as always. I not even sure he knows what a chair is for. Presently he's using one as a foot stool. He's also distracted by the hand-held device he's playing with. So much so that he doesn't notice me until I smack the back of his head and remove the chair from under his feet.
Ow! What was that for?” He asks while rubbing the back of his head with his hand. Momentarily taking his attention from the device.
You need not know why I do such things,” I reply. He says something under his breath that I don't quite catch. Judging by the quick snarl of Neko, I take it she does though. “Now that I have your undivided attention.” Simian has started playing with the hand-held again. I take it away as I continue. “I have a job that requires all of you.”
Oh yeah?” That was Stygan this time. “I only have two questions. Where and when?”
If you let me finish, I'll tell you. The Eggheads in the Science Department have need of some rare materials. I need you to acquire these and get back here as soon as possible.” I start handing out individual assignments. “Good news is everything we need is in one place. Bad news, it's a heavily guarded Government facility. Three items are all that's required. They are in three different rooms on two separate levels. Simian, Stygan, you get the two on level five. Here and here.” I point them out on the blueprints.
Neko, Hannah.”
I like the pretty pictures.” Hannah piped in, referring to the blueprints. One would hope anyway. Who knows what goes on in that insane head of hers.
Yes, well, you two will be handling the big score on the third level.”
Wait. How come they only have to get the one thing and we have to get two?” Asked Simian. Always with the questions that one.
Because, you two are likely too break what's on level three. And we really need that item. The other two we can make do with out. Get the picture?” I don't wait for a response. “Good. Now get going.”
-Later that day-
You did what!” I yell into the comms. All chatter in the Communications Room suddenly stops as I quickly stand up, knocking my chair over in the process. It's a nice chair too. Leather, and Corinthian at that. We got it from an old Chrysler Imperial. Or was that a Cordoba? I forget. Anyway, Simian has succeeded in nearly fouling up the whole damn mission. Again.
Yeah, uh, sorry boss. I kinda set off the security system.”
How in the... Oh, never mind, I don't want to know. Just get the items and get out. Oh and try not to mess anything else up.”
Right Boss. We'll try.”
I let out a long sigh. “That's the best that I can ask for.” And it is. I can't even expect them to arrive with all three items intact. I'll be happy if just one is usable.
I was lucky today, they made it back with all three items in seemingly fully operable condition. To say I was surprised is a understatement of epic proportions.
Here you go Boss.” Simian said as he laid all three items on the table. “All items as requested. And not broken neither.”
Well that remains to be seen.” I replied. Turning to Neko I said, “Take these down to the lab for me. Make sure no one else touches them.”
Neko took the items from me, turned, and left without so much as a word. She's like that. Not much for words, she lets her actions speak for her. It's no wonder she's my favorite.
Turning back to the others I said, “Now the rest of you go get some sleep. We have another big day tomorrow.”
They exit the Command Center with nary a word. Except for Hannah who skips off singing something about people living in cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment